General dentists, in general, specializing in primary dental services, including the treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of conditions and diseases that affect the teeth, gums, and mouth as well as the jaw, face, and neck. They likewise help preserve the appearance and functionality of these areas. Put simply, the main goal of your general dentistry professional in Portland, TN, Dr. Devin Hall of Portland Dental Center, is to keep your mouth, gums, and teeth in good health.
What a General Dentist Does
General dentists are trained and highly capable of:
- Assessing your medical and dental history and conducting oral examinations
- Teaching you about proper oral care habits, various oral health diseases, and conditions, as well as prevention of dental diseases
- Providing preventive primary and oral dental care, which includes fluoride treatments and professional teeth cleanings, among others
- Diagnosing oral and maxillofacial problems according to the assessment of your oral exam and test results
- Ordering and interpreting imaging and lab tests like saliva tests, x-rays, and prescribing medicines like pain relievers and antibiotics
- Treating a variety of oral health and maxillofacial issues like gum disease, tooth decay, and TMJ or temporomandibular joint disorder
- Collaborating efficiently with other specialists in your healthcare team when needed
What a General Dentist Can Treat
Your dentist in Portland, TN, can treat general dentistry problems such as:
- Stained and discolored teeth
- Mouth infections and sores
- Dental caries, cavities, or tooth decay
- Dry mouth
- Bad breath
- Gum disease
- Missing teeth
- Malocclusions or crooked teeth
- Teeth grinding
- TMJ disorder
- Broken teeth and oral trauma
When to See Your General Dentist
Everyone, regardless of age, must receive regular dental care, starting when a baby’s first tooth comes in. This means seeing your dentist for routine dental exams and cleanings twice yearly, or more often if you have an increased risk of developing oral health conditions.
Likewise, how often you should visit your dentist will greatly depend on your particular dental problems like decay rate, the buildup of calculus and plaque, and ongoing health problems, etc. During your dental checkups, your dentist will likewise check for any indications of new decay, gum disease, deterioration of existing restorations, as well as oral cancer.
Contact Us To Learn More About Our General Dentistry Services
Set an appointment with your dentist in Portland, TN, Dr. Devin Hall, here at Portland Dental Center by dialing (615) 325-9837.